Thursday, January 24, 2013

A touch of Wonder

Hello beautiful people!
I have been a little silent of late however I have been a little busy and now I get to show you what I have been up to!

A dear friend of mine asked if I'd decorate her rather dreary box that she keeps on her desk at school, which holds all of her supplies and goodies. It can hold standard A4 paper so it is a nice reasonable size.





 Being a primary school teacher I knew I had to make this box fun and what better way to do it than with my friend's favourite childhood story, Alice in Wonderland!

I initially wanted to cover the box with red and white roses and keys and all sorts of goodies, but I needed to keep it relatively flat and useful more than decorative. Being able to clean it was of utmost importance.

The 1st top space is dedicated to the Hatter who had to Kill Time And the White Rabbit who is always running late for a very important date. The other 2 spaces are also a nod to Hatter with dress maker patters and measuring tape.


The larger unit on the 2nd shelf is a regal damask with the far right unit inspired by the Red Roses of the Queen's garden.
The 3rd shelf is a page out of a story book so to speak.



The 4th shelf (cant really been seen here) captures the image of the legendary Jaberwocky! How mystical and magical!
The 5th shelf is a beautiful but subdued royal garden adorned above the 6th shelf of floral leadlighting one might find in a castle.

Covering these shelves was most difficult but provided an immense amount of satisfaction upon completion!

The sides of the box were painted with a copper colour of my own creation and then covered with Jo Sonja's Decore Crackle. Over the top I layered KaiserCraft  Dark Sage paint. The effect was very good and made even more effective when I paces KaiserCraft's new Glaze on top. Do NOT touch the surface with your hand whilst it is still damp! haha. It will remove the top layer of paint! This was hard to avoid as I glazed the inside of the shelving. Very small space for an adult hand! I must say though that the extra green pain that was rubbed off improved the look quite significantly.




I stamped the larger surfaces with a diamond stamp using black Stazon ink.


The other embellishments are simply free printed images onto cardstock which has then been scrunched up and inked with Tim Holtz's Distress Inks. (Vintage Photo and Scattered Straw)
I gave the box a little lift with Tim Holtz's ornate feet and corner edges.




I am still needing to Glaze the outside of the box but the store is out. Oh well! I can assure you I will be one of the first there in order to seal this little beauty.

Master Prince said that the box looks like something that Alice would have, that it is Victorian with a Wonderland Zing. Wonderful! Just what I was aiming for!

So never fear dear friends; old can become new again.

I really enjoyed sharing with you.
Blessings
Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Hope to see you back.